Thursday, July 9, 2009

A new addition to the Jack saga

This will be my last posting of the 'Jack Saga' for quite some time. I recently had a revelation on where I'd like this story to go and what is to happen, but I will not have the time to really concentrate and write it all out until my schooling is finished. So, here is another addition, but the rest will come in a few months. And I am pretty sure that names and places may changes as well as the fact that I may go into writing it as first person and not third. But I hope you have been enjoying Jack's story so far - I've enjoyed writing him!


~

Jack took a sip of his Guinness all the while laughing at Ian's discomfort over the barmaid subject. Why a grown twenty year old man would be embarrassed over it was beyond him. But Brian had always been the more outgoing of the two. And therefore had been a bit more lucky with the Ladies over the years.

"Ach, Ian," Said Jack, "Just go ask her out."

"Yeah, not right now." said Ian as he brushed Jack off.

Suddenly Jack's cell phone was vibrating in his jean pocket.

Reaching to retrieve his phone, Jack apologized, "Sorry guys, but I have to take this." He said after looking at the caller ID. It was his 90 year old great grandmother who lived in a nursing home not far out in the suburbs of Dublin.

"'ello Gran" He answered.

"Jack my boy!" Cackled the voice on the other end, "How are ye, Laddie?"

"I'm doing fine, Gran. And how is my favorite lass in the world?"

"Ah, you're a smooth one, Jack Matthews, that ya are." And Jack could hear her smile through the phone.

"I've been t'inkin'," She said, "You haven't been to see me in quite some time now."

Guilt swept through Jack, "I'm sorry, Gran," He apologized, "But school's been just crazy this past month!"

"Well, to make up for it how about you come over to see yer auld Gran tomorrow?"

Jack's mind went through all that he had to get done on Tuesday. Work...school. Jack sighed as he looked out the grimy pub window out at the rain that was still pounding the city streets outside. No matter how hectic life got - family always comes first.

"Sure thing, Gran." Jack found himself saying.

"Aw, that's a good lad!" Cackled the merry voice, "And I've got a pressie 'er waitin' for ya too!"

"Oh Gran, not more of Mrs McCourt's cookies? Please no, Grannie!" Exclaimed Jack in feigned terror.

"You silly boy," Laughed Gran, "It's much better than that!"

"Well, it better not be brownies either! I can't stand the blasted stuff!"

"Do ya really t'ink that I'd bribe my great grandson with over-cooked pastries? Really boy? I thought I was better than that."

Jack laughed, "You win, Gran. You win. I'll see you tomorrow after work around two o'clock. Sound good?"

"Of course I win! Have I e'er lost?" The feisty woman challenged.

"Ok, I have to go now," Said Jack closing the conversation, "See you tomorrow!"

"Alrighty Jack-o, see you at two o'clock sharp."

"I'll be there, Gran." Jack said with a laugh, "Bye now! Love you!"

"Love you too, Jack-o." and the line clicked off.

Jack walked away from the window and slid back into his seat at the booth. Brian and Ian had almost finished their drinks by the time Jack was able to take a third sip of his.

"Your secret girlfriend again?" Inquired Brian.

Smiling, Jack answered, "Nope. Just Gran. I haven't seen her in a month and she was just calling to make sure I hadn't fallen off the face of the planet."

"Poor thing is probably lonely." Ian said, all the while glancing from his empty drink to the bar and pretty lass.

"Don't make me feel even worse than I already do!" Cried Jack as he took another swig of his Guinness and shoved his phone back into his pocket.

"So, you gonna go see her soon?" Brian asked.

"Yeah, tomorrow after work I'll head out there. I don't know when I'll get that paper research done, but I owe her."

"Well," said Brian, "We'd better get going. I'll give you a ring later about looking over the the money stuff."

"That'd be great," Jack replied, "It was good seeing you guys! Take care."

The two brothers got up, and after leaving a tip went to the front to pay their half of the bill. Jack stifled his laughter as Ian fumbled with his wallet to pay the barmaid who also worked the cash register. The man was hopeless, thought Jack. The two brothers payed and walked out of the pub with waves to Jack. After they were gone Jack sighed at the quiet that now permeated the pub.

Jack took up his now empty glass and went to return it to the bar.

"Can I help you?" Asked the bar maid.

"Just returning this." Answered Jack while handing the glass to her.

"That friend of yours is a bit of a klutz, eh." She said with a smile.

"Actually, I think he was a bit taken with you." Jack said with a smile as well.

She laughed and rolled her eyes, "And so is every man I give a Guinness to!"

"I don't think he was drunk, if that's what you're implying," Jack said defensively, "The man was genuinely infatuated with you."

"Sorry, Mate." the bar maid apologized, "It's just that working in a bar you get used to the 'infatuated' man hitting on ya. It gets old after a while."

"I understand." Jack paid his bill and went out into the now drizzling rain cascading over the city. As he walked to his appartment he thought on how much work Ian would have to do to win that bar maid. She would not be an easy woman to woo.


~
~Aithne Someris~

No comments:

Post a Comment