Thursday, June 25, 2009

A Wee Bit More (Jack's Story Continues)


Hello All!

I have a wee bit more from the Jack story and thought that I'd get it out there and hear your thoughts! As always, I've been too busy to completely edit it, so take it with a grain of salt, and the knowledge that it will be edited and built on at a later date...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jack just laughed at the brother's comments, it was all good natured fun.

"So, how's the tour business going?" Asked Jack.

"Oh, you know, always a steady steam of 'em." Brian answered.

"Although business could be better," Ian ran a hand over his face. He suddenly seemed very tired, "With the economy as it is, the last thing people are doing is taking guided tours of Ireland with a couple of blokes like us. We don't even have the accent!"

Brian sighed, "Yeah, it's not what it used to be."

"But you guys are doing ok, right? I mean, you let me know if money gets tight." Jack was worried about the brothers; it wasn't like the Browne boys to be down cast. Optimism was always near with them. The were naturally a happy go lucky pair.
"No way, Man." Ian immediately protested, "There is no way we would ever take money from you. Besides, business is just down. It's not like were poor or settling for scraps yet." And the cocky grin that Jack knew so well settled on Ian's face once more.
"If you're sure." Said Jack with a shrug.
"We are." Ian asserted.
Ian let out a sigh and then looked from his brother next to him to Jack on the other side of the booth. "How 'bout I order a round of the black stuff, eh? I feel like some Guinness right about now."
Brian grinned, "You know I never pass say no to that! As long as you're paying, Bro."
Ian turned to Jack, "How about you?"
"Do you even have to ask? It's like you don't even know me!" Scoffed Jack with a chuckle.
"Alrighty then!" And Ian was off to get the drinks pulled.
After Ian had left, Brian turned to Jack, "He's trying hard not to let it, but this slow time is really getting to him. He stays up all night trying to get the numbers to work. I'm starting to worry about him." Brian began rubbing his gottee, a habit of his when thinking hard over something.
"You know I was a business major back in college," Said Jack, "Why don't you boys let me look it over?"
"Seriously?" Brian's grey eyes lit up, "I mean, I'd hate to ask it of you, but-"
"No, it's really no problem." Jack quickly replied, "I had mine as well use all that learning my dad made me get."
"Man," Said Ian as he came back from the bar, "They take long enough to pull the darn stuff!"
As Ian set the tall frothing drinks on the table, he looked back at the bar. Leaning back, Jack sought to see what had caught Ian's attention. He was just in time to see the pretty young barmaid wink in their direction and Ian nod toward her. Jack chuckled.
"So, that's why you wanted a sip of the black stuff, eh Ian?"
"What?" Ian exclaimed innocently, "I have no idea what you're talking about, mate."
Brian laughed loudly as he reached for his drink, "You always were the transparent one, old boy."
"Oh, leave off it, Brian." Ian said as his color rose in his face.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
And that's about it for now! I've got a bit more up my sleeve, but we'll just have to wait till I have more time to write! Let me know what'cha think!
~Aithne Someris~

1 comment:

  1. Great excerpt! I like Ian's embarrassed reaction when Brian asks him about the bar-maid! XD Keep it coming!

    -Meg

    ReplyDelete