Wednesday, November 25, 2009

~The Call of the Sea~

I see this poem as being what a retired sailor felt as he looked out over the sea from a cliff - knowing that his time was over, but still feeling the call of the sea ringing in his ears...a bit melodramatic, I know...


~The Call of the Sea~


Roaring, crashing, calling my name
I long for her, I yearn for her
Her salty aura will not leave my nose
The visage of her roiling depths engraved on my soul
My heart beats in time with her rise and fall
My gnarled hands can only feel rope
My feet cannot traverse a floor that does not shift with the wind
The suns’ rays glint off her – teasing me
“Come away with me” she calls
It pains me to see her O’ so close
Blues, greens, grays and blacks


Ever changing – as moody as a mermaid
A sailor I was and a sailor I am
My blood is tainted by the water
My skin roasted by the sun
My eyes are ever glued to the horizon
But my time has passed – I am now exiled to land
I am suffocating – slowly suffocating
This air is foul and filled with humanity
O’ to again feel the caress of a sea sigh



1 comment:

  1. Wow girl! You have a gift! I love poetry. And you have captured the character of your sailor wonderfully. It's sad. But I sometimes think that the sad ones are the most beautiful.

    ReplyDelete