Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Enthusiasim

Well, here I sit sick. I seem to have finally succumbed to the cold that my siblings had last week. So, what am I to do while my head pounds and my throat aches? Why, write of course!

I suppose we’ve known each other long enough (or not) to let you in on a little tidbit about myself:  I am quite sorry to say that I am a hopeless Enthusiast. Ok, I can see that you haven’t a clue as to what I am talking about.

To put it plainly, I am quite easily excited about new/old things that I come across and can end up seeming like an obsessive. But I’m not. I struggled with myself this year when I began to worry about my seeming ease as becoming obsessive over something I like. Do not fear for your safety! I have, as of yet, never obsessed over a person. It seems that my strong love of something leans more towards dead authors, musicians, period dramas, and books than it does actual people.  But, as I was saying, I decided to diagnose myself seeing as I knew for a fact that I was not and am not an obsessive.

I term it: an Enthusiast-Who-Takes-Action.  One interesting thing about my Enthusiasm is that it takes action (pity the person who tells me that they wish they could go to that concert….for I will find a way!). Many a pay check has been spent in buying up all of Jane Austen’s books, all of John Keats’s works, or on that stray concert I just HAD to go to.  And I will pull any and all in with me!


Yet, the saddest part about being an Enthusiast is that at some point the great excitement and enthusiasm slows down to a mere simmer. You suddenly realize that you don’t really want to live in Narnia. That the Lord of the Rings movies are NOT the best movies ever made. That Jane Austen is a dead authoress who will not rise from the grave to write one more book.  That the Phantom of the Opera was a bit of an obsessive stalker. That your life dream is not to play the guitar on street corners.

But one only thing makes an Enthusiast happy – the friends who egg us on, join us on those crazy adventures, buy those over priced concert tickets, and all in all make life as an Enthusiast-Who-Takes-Action worth it. So here’s to you my friends – I raise my glass!


With lots of craic, sniffles, and coughes,
~Aithne Someris~

1 comment:

  1. Awww, this was great, Izzy!! I especially liked the second to the last paragraph. Well-written!! :) Yeah, I think you're right...I mean, if I didn't have Mary or you or Julia or Sarah or Stephanie or Cassie to squeal with about a certain group, then it just wouldn't BE the same! :) *raises glass in agreement* ^_^

    ReplyDelete